Saturday, May 24, 2008

Higher Consciousness, Lower BP


I have high Blood Pressure. Really high B.P. I take no medication for it even
after I first discovered I suffer from this deadly problem several years ago.
I did make a feeble attempt to receive treatment when I saw an advert for a
free check-up that required my participation in some experimental drugs, but
never joined the program due to a conflict with my schedule at a job I was
about to begin. A job I got after many harrowing months of unemployment.
The initial free consultation I got for the program was uplifting in that the
Physician shared her findings with me by saying that although I was on the
high end of the scale with my BP, something strange had occurred within
my body, which made it adjust itself to cope and function fully, undeterred
by what would normally incur an ambulance ride and a stay in the ER.

So I got to thinking, what would make my body behave in this highly desirable,
manner ? What self-preservation mechanisms had kicked in ? I took a longer
and harder than usual look at my lifestyle and discovered a few interesting
facts : I smoke almost a pack of cigarettes and imbibe four or more cups of
Coffee on a daily basis; stretch and bend and take deep breaths about four
times a week, sleep for about six hours nightly, and drink socially, but not as
much as I would like to. Add to this the fact that I have never had a personal
Physician and it all makes me very conscious that a better approach to my
well-being is in order.

Enter RealAge, who recently mailed the following to subscribers
such as myself :
Do This to Lower Your Blood Pressure

Wouldn't it be great if your mind had a superpower that made your blood
pressure behave?

It does! A review of nine major studies says your mind could budge your
blood pressure in a healthy direction if you give it a meditation break.
Regular practice helps lower both systolic (the top number) and diastolic
pressure.

Breathe In, Breathe Out
Meditation -- that ancient art of focusing on a phrase or mantra, letting your
breath flow in and out, and allowing your thoughts to gently come and go --
is a proven stress reliever. And research now shows that regularly practicing
transcendental meditation may have blood pressure benefits. (Get a head start
on meditation basics by popping in the new YOU: Breathing Easy CD.
It walks you step by step through several refreshing and relaxing meditation
and breathing techniques.)

Need more incentive to meditate? Check out these other areas that it helps improve:

Try this two-step meditation tool.

RealAge Benefit: Keeping your blood pressure at 115/76 mm Hg can make
your RealAge as much as 12 years younger.

No comments:

Post a Comment