Tuesday, October 11, 2005

A Marathoner at Age Three



He runs seven hours at a stretch, sometimes
as much as 48km (30 miles). On a daily basis.
And Budhia Singh is just three and a half
years old.


When Budhia's father died a year ago, his mother, who
washes dishes in Bhubaneswar, capital of the eastern Indian
state of Orissa, was unable to provide for her four children.
She sold Budhia to a man for 800 rupees ($20). But the young
boy came to the attention of Biranchi Das,
a judo coach and
the secretary of the local judo association.
Mr Das said he
noticed Budhia's talent when scolding him
for being a bully.
"Once, after he had done some mischief, I asked him to keep

running till I came back," Mr Das told the BBC.
"I got busy in
some work. When I came back after five hours,
I was stunned
to find him still running."


Story by Sandeep Sahu

BBC News, Bhubaneswar

Published: 2005/09/13 14:40:00 GMT

No comments:

Post a Comment