Thursday, January 18, 2007

Shivaji Market


Shivaji Market
Originally uploaded by FredMikeRudy.

Here's another view of the Shivaji Market Pune, the area
that I lived in for the first 20 years of my life. I like to think of this
as a 'gift' from Rolf Heimann from Germany. I mentioned earlier
that Rolf wanted the Poona Blues.
Well, he certainly realized his dream when he
found himself like Robert Johnson at the 'Crossroads'.....in Pune !
Only problem,
the last time he was in Pune was about 40 years ago.
Here's part of his e-mail :
"Of course, after so many years it was like travelling in one of those
sci-fi time travelling machines: India has changed so much.
To my mind, it's basically more people, more houses, more traffic -
and the infrastructure is completely overstretched. It is awesome to
see the masses of people belonging to something of a new middle
class who all seem to have mopeds and buying power.
One day I went out into the countryside and I found the old India
again, but even there businesses were flourishing and traffic was
breathtaking (literally)."


Related post:
http://virtualpoona.blogspot.com/2006/05/shivaji-market-poona.html



No comments:

Post a Comment