Monday, September 05, 2005

Aftermath Part Two

Aftermath Part Two
Follow up to the Times of India article on
India's offer of aid to the USA.

Thanks to Xeni at Boing Boing I found the
Rudyard Kipling poem
'Gunga Din'
aptly quoted in
this Blog

I shan't forgit the night
When I dropped be'ind the fight
With a bullet where my belt-plate should 'a' been.
I was chokin' mad with thirst,
An' the man that spied me first
Was our good old grinnin', gruntin' Gunga Din.

'E lifted up my 'ead,
An' he plugged me where I bled,
An' 'e guv me 'arf-a-pint o' water-green:
It was crawlin' and it stunk,
But of all the drinks I've drunk,
I'm gratefullest to one from Gunga Din.

It was "Din! Din! Din!
'Ere's a beggar with a bullet through 'is spleen;
'E's chawin' up the ground,
An' 'e's kickin' all around:
For Gawd's sake git the water, Gunga Din!"

No comments:

Post a Comment